Building Permits

Building Permits
Permits are required for most construction work, including electrical, plumbing, and mechanical work.  Applications for different permit types can be downloaded below.  Applications and fees must be submitted in person at City Hall, Monday through Thursday.

Effective August 19, 2015, plan check and permit fees in Temple City are 120% of the fees established by the County of Los Angeles.  County fees are available on the L.A. County Department of Public Works website.

Building inspections are conducted Monday through Thursday.  To request an inspection, please call (626) 656-7327 and leave a message.  Next-day inspection requests must be received before 3:30 p.m.  All requests received after 3:30 p.m. will be scheduled for the following business day.
Online Solar System Permits
Pursuant to AB 2188, Temple City now offers online permit applications for Small Residential Rooftop Solar Energy Systems meeting certain criteria.  Learn more about applying online

Public Works / Encroachment Permits
The Building Division also issues encroachment permits for construction work, vehicles, and objects in the public right-of-way.  The application can be downloaded below and must be submitted in person at City Hall, Monday through Thursday.

Public Works / Encroachment permit fee schedule
Online Permit Records

Building permit records are available online for viewing and printing.  Permits are in folders alphabetically by street name and address.
Online Permit Records
Plan Check
Temple City contracts with Transtech for plan check services.  The Building Official is in the office from 8 a.m. to 12 noon on Monday, Wednesday, and Thursday.  While over-the-counter plan checking is available for some minor improvements, most projects must be submitted for plan check.

Code Resources
2013 California Building Code
2013 California Residential Code
2013 California Green Building Code

Permit Applications

Permit  Description
Required for re-roofing, window replacement, additions & new structures.
Electrical Required for any electrical work.
Encroachment Required for any work in the public right-of-way and for transporting oversize loads through the City
Grading Required if removing and/or adding 50 cubic yards of soil. A Grading Consultant Form from Los Angeles County Public Works must be submitted prior to applying.
Mechanical Required for heating, air conditioning, or ventilation fan work.
Plumbing Required for any plumbing work, including replacement fixtures.
Sewer Required for any work to the sewer line.
Swimming Pool Complete and submit your permit application to the Planning Division with associated fees.